The chargrilled Tomato and Avocado Slaw is the perfect side for your summer BBQ meal. This healthy recipe is suitable for vegetarians too.
For the semi-dried tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved across the middle
- pinch fine salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- pinch caster sugar
For the Jalapeño pickled cabbage
- 340g cabbage, finely sliced
- 100g juice from a jar of red Jalapeños
To finish the slaw
- reserved semi-dried tomato halves
- reserved Jalapeño pickled cabbage
- 20g red Jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 lime, zest of whole and juice of ½
- 1 tsp coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fine salt
To semi-dry the tomatoes, preheat the Hub and toss the halved tomatoes in the salt and olive oil. Grill on the hot BBQ, cut side-down until slightly charred. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with sugar.
Place in the hot cupboard underneath the BBQ while you continue cooking the other items – or simply spread cut-side up on a tray to partially dry out in a 70°C preheated oven for 1 hour.
Combine the finely sliced cabbage with the Jalapeño pickle juice and set aside for at least 2 hours. To finish the salad, combine all the ingredients and toss well to evenly coat.