Give your lamb a fiery kick by chargrilling it on an Everdure by Heston Blumenthal BBQ with a berbere dry rub. Serve with Heston’s mint tapenade and roasted herbed tomatoes to give it a fresh twist.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
For Heston’s mint tapenade:
170g Kalamata olives in brine (not pitted), drained and rinsed
70g capers in brine, drained
50g anchovy fillets in olive oil
10g mint leaves
15g basil leaves
50g olive oil
Freshly grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
For the berbere:
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole ajowan (carom) seeds
2 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
4 cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons salt flakes
For the roasted herbed tomatoes:
12 assorted baby tomatoes
2 x 10 cm thyme sprigs
30 ml balsamic glaze
30 ml extra virgin olive oil
To taste salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
For the lamb loin:
3 lamb loins
1 x 15 cm rosemary sprig
- For the tapenade, remove the stones from the olives by hand and place the flesh in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Blitz together until a smooth paste, adding a little more olive oil if necessary.
- For the berbere, in a heavy pan using moderate heat, dry roast (without oil) the peppercorns, ajowan, coriander, cumin, allspice, fenugreek and cardamom. Stir continuously while on the heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Remove to a mortar and pestle. Grind until fine, and then add in the remaining ingredients. When cool, place into an airtight container and store until required.
- For the roasted herbed tomatoes, cut the tomatoes in halves and place onto a baking paper lined oven tray. Evenly sprinkle over the thyme leaves, balsamic glaze, olive oil and seasoning. Place into a pre-warmed oven, set at 180°C for 12 minutes.
- Remove and keep warm.
- For the lamb, season the loins all over with two tablespoons of the berbere mix.
- Place the rosemary onto the charcoal and the lamb onto the grill bars. Grill and turn every 20 seconds until the internal temperature reached 56°C. This could take 7 minutes.
- Remove and rest half covered on a rack for 6 minutes. Present sliced with the roasted herbed tomatoes and a little tapenade.