We understand that as exciting as Christmas day is, it can also get a little hectic. The whole family is visiting, and everyone is looking forward to the dinner that you’ve been given the task of preparing. No pressure, right? Well, why not try something a little different this year, by using the Everdure 4K BBQ to cook a succulent Honey Roast Turkey recipe? Not only does it give you some extra space in the kitchen; the 4K connects to an app that tells you when your food is ready so there’s no need to worry about waiting around. All the hard work is done for you, making your Christmas that bit easier.
For the honey and citrus brine
6g coriander seeds
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 lemons, zest only
3 limes, zest only
1 orange, zest only
17g black peppercorns
To brine the turkey
4 litres reserved honey and citrus brine
To make the glaze and cook the turkey
500g cranberry juice
reserved brined turkey
- Place the salt along with 4 litres of water into a large pan and bring to the boil to dissolve the salt. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool 40°C. Add the thyme, honey, and remaining aromatics and once completely cooled, place in the fridge overnight. (This brine recipe should be doubled if the turkey is larger than 4kg.)
- Strain the honey and citrus brine into a large container. Add the turkey and brine for 14 hours in the fridge. Remove and wash the turkey under cold, running water for 1 hour. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- In the meantime, make a glaze by combining 225g of the cranberry juice and the Cointreau in a pan and reducing to a syrup over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the honey and the remaining cranberry juice.
- Place 350g of charcoal into the 4K and ignite as per instructions. Fill the metal cup with water and place it onto the inside bracket. Place the half-moon grills into the 4K and top with the pizza stone. Plugin one temperature probe and leave it hanging out for now. Place the stainless steel grills above the pizza stone and close the hood once the ignition turns off. Allow the 4K to reach 180ᵒC, and set the top and bottom vents to position 1.
- Season the brined turkey with salt and place onto a baking tray. Place it inside the 4K, place the probe deep into the thigh joint and cook for 30 minutes or until the skin starts to turn golden. Monitor the heat to ensure a surface temperature of around 70°C is maintained on the bird. Add a piece of charcoal every 30 minutes through the side loader, or as needed.
- Quickly open the 4K and brush with glaze every few minutes until the turkey begins to get sticky. Remove the bird from the 4K once the core temperature reads 68°C and rest for 30 minutes before carving. Reserving any juices to be used in gravy along with half of any remaining sauce.