Outdoor cooking is more than just a taste experience. The Everdure by Heston Blumenthal pulled pork slider utilises the rotisserie of the HUB or Fusion for a visual experience to make mouths water.
Preparation time: 24h
Cooking time: 4h+
For the Suckling Pig:
1.8Kg Suckling Pig
3 Kg Rock Salt
For the BBQ Sauce:
15g Groundnut or grapeseed oil
3 Cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 Banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
¼ tsp Ground ginger
¼ tsp Powdered allspice
¼ tsp Mustard powder
¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
¼ tsp Smoked paprika
210g Tomato passata
100g Cider vinegar
120g Demerara sugar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Golden syrup
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black pepper
- Dry the skin of the pig. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the skin in a cross hatch direction. Using the salt, massage the skin of the pig ensuring that it is covered in salt.
- Place some of the salt on the bottom of a large container. Place the pig on top and sprinkle the remainder of the salt on top to cover. Allow to stand for 2 hours.
- After the time has elapsed, remove the pig from the salt and scrub off the excess salt. Dry the skin with kitchen towels and place in the fridge overnight.
- Set up the bbq by filling the tray with charcoal and igniting it. In the meantime, rub vegetable oil on the surface of the pig. Place the pig on the middle setting of the rotisserie function and allow to rotate for 1 hour.
- Move the rotisserie to its highest setting and continue to rotate for approximately 3 to 3.5 hours while topping up the charcoal as necessary, making sure the heat is evenly distributed.
- For the BBQ sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and sweat until soft (approximately 7 minutes).
- Put in the dry spices, and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring to incorporate them. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into a blender and blitz for 30 seconds until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and allow to cool. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.
- Lower the pig on the rotisserie back to the middle setting for the last 30 min of cooking.
- Mix with BBQ sauce and serve the pulled pork slider in the Brioche buns.